Monday 11 June 2012

Everlasting Mountain



                                                                           
      I used to live in a house with a view of the mountains. Every morning I would enjoy their changing aspect. Clean and pure in winter snow, verdant evergreens thick on their slopes in springtime, peaks aflame in a summer sunrise, mists encircling rocky summits above the gold of autumn. I received inspiration from those mountains because they reflected spiritual truths I needed to draw on during a difficult time in my life.
    Psalm 121 begins, “I lift up my eyes to the hills....where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.”
     When I looked at the mountains I had to lift my eyes above the everyday scene on the street. Taking my attention off problems on the human level and focusing on the majesty of the Lord helped me to put things in a right perspective. I was reminded that the Lord dwells in the heavens and His ways are higher than mine. I was His small creation, beloved by Him but mortal and muddled. I needed to look up to Him in dependence and often in desperation. I could not understand the reasons for the hardships I was experiencing but I could entrust my future to the Lord whose omniscient vision could see His perfect purposes for my life.
    The mountains beyond my window represented permanence, stability and  agelessness. Every morning I could depend on them being there when I woke up, and probably they would be there for centuries to come. But God reminded me that there was something even more immovable than these geological formations of rock and dirt.
    “Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet My unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.”- (Isaiah 54:10).  What  promises to cling to when the very foundations of my life were crumbling beneath my feet!  I was abandoned and rejected, yet God loved me with unfailing love. I was beset by problems and turmoil, yet God would not remove His covenant of peace. I was destitute and critically ill, yet God had compassion on me.
    I no longer look at mountains outside my window, I look at a wide open prairie. God has brought me to a time of peace and blessing, no longer hemmed in by mountains of trouble but in a place where I am reminded of the vastness of His mercy and the open capacity of His great heart. He is greater than any mountain and cannot be moved.
           “Before the mountains were born or You brought forth the earth and the world,
                                from everlasting to everlasting You are God.” 
-  Psalm 90:2

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment